The American pharmaceutical conmpany Pfizer has said it will no longer sell drugs that can be used for lethal injections to the Amercian government. A total of 7 substances on the list are mostly used for operations and certain illnesses but are also in liquids used for executions. According to a Pfizer representative, the company’s aim is to save lives and not help kill people.
Pfizer says it will closely monitor buyers who try to resell the drugs to state institutions, which may use them for executions.
After Pfizer’s decision , there are no more companies in the USA and Europe that sell lethal injection drugs to the Amercian government . The European Union has banned the export of such drugs to the US.
As a result, state authorities are trying to find new drugs and combinations of substances that can be used for executions. Normally, three mixtures of drugs are used to execute a prisoner. The first one makes you unconscious , the second liquid paralyses the muscles and the third stops the heart from beating.
In the past few years, the number of executions has decreased, in part due to the availability of lethal drugs. Last year only 28 executions were carried out in the US. Among the 32 states that allow capital punishment, all of them use lethal injections as the main method of execution but some allow the electric chair,hanging, the firing squad and the gas chamber as alternatives.
Human rights organizations and other groups opposed to capital punishment have welcomed Pfizer’s decision as a bold move to ban the death penalty in the United States.
- according to = as said by …
- aim = what someone wants to do or achieve something
- authorities = group of people who make decisions and have power in certain areas
- availability = the fact that something can be bought and used
- ban = forbid, not allow
- bold move = action that shows a lot of courage
- capital punishment = to officially kill a person who has committed a crime
- combination = mixture
- death penalty = to officially kill a person who has committed a crime
- decrease = go down
- drug = chemical that is used as medicine
- due to = because of
- execution = the official killing of a person by the state
- firing squad = group of people who are ordered to shoot and kill a prisoner
- government = the people who rule a country
- human rights = the basic rights that everyone should have, like the right to vote or the freedom of speech
- illness = disease
- in part = partly
- lethal injection = a drug that is injected into your blood stream; it is used to execute people who have committed certain crimes
- liquid = substance like water
- main = most important
- method = way
- mixture = here: combination of liquids
- monitor = watch closely
- opposed to = against
- paralyse = if a person cannot move arms or legs or feel anything
- pharmaceutical = about producing medicine
- resell = sell again
- substance = here: drug, medicine
- unconscious = if you are not awake and do not know what is going on around you
- welcome = here: to agree with