The American video streaming service Netflix has 100 million subscribers around the world. This year alone the company has gained almost 5 million new viewers. Its content can now be seen used in 190 countries. Almost half of Netflix’s subscribers live in the United States.
The company expects to expand even more quickly as services in Asia, Africa and Latin America have just been started. Almost 75% of the world’s population live here.
A major part of Netflix’s success comes from producing its own shows. “House of Cards” or “Stranger Things” have won many awards become worldwide hits.
The success of the video streaming giant is also reflected at the stock markets. At the moment, Netflix has a market value of $63 billion and its stock price continues to rise.
In the past decade, Netflix has changed the way we watch television. More and more people are turning away from traditional TV, where you have to watch a film when it is aired or wait a week to watch the next episode of your favourite show. With video on demand viewers tend to watch whatever they want when they want to.
Competitors of Netflix have started to gain ground and are trying to make life tough for the streaming giant. Amazon Prime has launched its own streaming service and the big US networks are streaming their own shows as well.
- air = broadcast on television
- award = prize
- content = here: films and movies it offers
- continue = to go on
- decade = ten years
- expand = to make bigger
- gain = to become more ; get
- gain ground = catch up with; to become better
- launch = start
- reflect = show
- rise = go up
- stock market = place where parts of companies and businesses are bought and sold
- streaming service = when you can watch a video while it is being broadcast over the Internet
- subscriber = person who pays money every month to use something
- success = to achieve what you wanted; to become very good at what you do
- tend = have a habit of doing something; to do something regularly
- tough = hard
- value = what something is worth
- video on demand = you can watch something whenever you want to
- viewer = a person who watches something on TV or the Internet