For the first time England’s Prince Harry has talked about how he struggled emotionally after the death of his mother , Lady Diana, in September 1997. The 32 year old prince said that the the past few years of his life had been disturbing until finally his brother, William, urged him see a counselor.
Harry told journalists that it took him almost two decades to finally get over the tragic event. When Princess Diana died in a car accident, Harry was 12 years old.
He said that counselling helped him a lot because it is always good to open yourself up to a complete stranger. Apart from getting professional help, Harry started boxing to help overcome his grief.
In his late 20s Harry said that he had felt angry and left alone . He almost suffered a nervous breakdown as well. He said he had been dealing with the situation by not thinking about his mother and sticking his head into the sand.
Together with Prince William and his sister-in-law, Kate, Harry started the Heads Together campaign , a charity that helps people who have psychological problems.
- apart from = besides, also
- campaign = movement ; events about a certain topic
- charity = organization that gives money or goods to people who are poor or need help
- counselor = a person who advises you and gives you help
- decade = ten years
- disturbing = worrying, upsetting
- emotionally = about your feelings and how you control them
- grief = extreme sadness because someone you love has died
- nervous breakdown = a mental illness in which someone becomes extremely nervous and cannot deal with normal situations
- open yourself up = to stop being shy and say what you really think
- overcome = to control a feeling or a problem
- psychological = about the way your mind works and how it influences your behavior
- sister-in-law = the sister of your husband or wife
- struggle = fight against
- urge = to say you should to something