The next Olympic Games have been awarded to Paris and Los Angeles. Both cities will host the games for the third time. 2024 will mark the 100th anniversary of the second Paris Olympics. The city had already organised the summer games of 1900. The 2028 Olympics will be held in Los Angeles for the third time, after 1932 and 1984. It is the first time that the International Olympic Committee has named host cities for two summer games at once. Los Angeles originally wanted the 2024 games but agreed to hosting them 4 years later.
The IOC presented the new hosts at a time when the organisation is troubled by corruption and accusations that some members took bribes to vote for the 2016 Rio Olympics.
The 2024 Paris Summer Olympics are expected to provide jobs and growth to the city. According to city officials, the games will generate 11 billion dollars in income and create jobs for 250 000 people in the next seven years. Although Paris already has many venues ready for the games, several new ones will be built. The city wants to attract visitors not only with the best sports stadiums but also with its unique cultural and historical sites.
Los Angeles organizers have also said they want to use many existing structures built in the 1980s in order to make the games as cost-efficient as possible.
After recent terrorist attacks in Paris, London, Barcelona and other major cities , security is expected to be the main factor for both events.
Today, not very many cities are keen on organising major sports events. On one side bidding costs millions of dollars and on the other side holding the games themselves costs local authorities and governments billions.
- according to = as said by …
- accusation = statement that says someone has done something wrong or against the law
- agree = to say yes to something
- although = while
- award = give to someone
- anniversary = date or year in which something important took place
- bidding = here: to offer to organize an event
- bribe = to give someone money illegally and you expect them to do something for you in return
- cost-efficient = here: to save money by using buildings or infrastructure that already exist
- generate = produce , create
- growth = businesses and the economy grow in a certain region
- host = here: city that holds a special event
- income = the money you get for the work you do
- keen on = happy to do something
- local authorities = here: the people who are in charge of ruling a town or city
- main factor = most important thing
- major = very important; large
- mark = celebrate an important event
- official = person in an important position in a country
- security = safety
- several = many
- site = interesting place
- structure = building
- troubled = worried; having many problems
- unique = unusually special; very good
- venue = here:place where a sports event takes place