Che Guevara was a Marxist revolutionary who was a close aide of Fidel Castro during the Cuban Revolution. He was killed in Bolivia 50 years ago.
Che was born into a middle class Argentinian family in 1928 and studied medicine in his youth. From the beginning he was influenced by left-wing ideas and strongly opposed the government of Argentine leader Juan Peron.
Instead of finishing his studies, the young rebel decided to travel around South America, where he witnessed widespread poverty and oppression among the population. In the 1950s he travelled to Guatemala where he saw how the CIA helped overthrow a leftist government.
In Mexico, Che Guevara met Fidel Castro and his brother Raul. Together , they planned to overthrow the pro-western government in Cuba. After Castro took power in 1959 , Che Guevara held some top posts in his government and also became Castro’s military adviser. He strongly opposed the United States and its policies. Instead he tried to strengthen ties with the Soviet Union and spread socialism to Central America.
The Marxist revolutionary was sent to developing countries in order to show them how Cuban socialism worked. In Congo, he trained rebels to fight against government soldiers. Che Guevara was finally captured in Bolivia where he was he was executed in 1967.
- adviser = person who gives you advice because they know a lot about a topic
- aide = person who helps a politician or leader
- capture = to catch a person and keep them as a prisoner
- developing country = poor country in Africa, Asia or America
- execute = to kill someone as a from of being punished
- influence = to affect or change the way someone behaves or thinks
- instead = in something’s place
- government = the people who rule a country
- Marxist = person who supports the ideas of Karl Marx. He explained changes in history as a result of the struggle between social classes
- oppose = to be against
- oppression = when you treat a group of people in an unfair way and do not give them the same rights that others have
- overthrow = remove a leader or a government
- policy = the way a government plans to handle a topic or problem
- poverty= the situation of being poor
- revolutionary = person who joins or supports a revolution
- socialism = system in which many industries are owned by the state and rich people pay more taxes than poorer ones
- strengthen = make stronger
- take power = here: become a leader or the head of a government
- ties = relationship with another country
- widespread = all over the place
- witness = to see something because you are there