Scientists have discovered a gigantic hole that has reappeared in the Antarctic ice. It is about the size of the Netherlands and is located around the Weddell Sea.
In the 1970s climatologists found a similar hole at almost the same spot. At that time they didn’t have the observation equipment that they have now, so they couldn’t study the hole closely enough. After a few years it disappeared . Last year, the hole came up again.
Researchers cannot explain how the hole emerged. One theory is that warmer salt water from deep under the Antarctic ice sheet may have come up and mixed with cold water near the surface, thus , melting the ice sheet above. Normally a thick layer of ice covers Antarctica at the end of the southern winter. Scientists also claim that it may be connected to climate change and global warming.
Such a hole in the ice is called a polynya. Although not totally uncommon, it is strange that the hole in the Antarctic ice has appeared very far from its edge . Usually such holes are found in coastal regions.
Climatologists are not sure whether the hole will have an impact on the water temperature in the world’s oceans. If warmer water continues to surface to the top of the hole it may stay there for a longer period of time because it would then be difficult for ice layers to form.
Severe weather conditions during the Antarctic winter make it difficult to find holes in the ice . This is the second time in two years that such a hole has emerged , although last year’s was not that big.
- although = while
- claim = to say that something is true even if you cannot prove it
- climatologist = person who studies the weather and how it changes the climate on earth
- coastal = where land meets the sea
- disappear = go away
- discover = to find something that has not been there before
- edge = the part of an object that is furthest from the centre
- emerge = come out from somewhere
- equipment = the tools or machines you need to do something
- gigantic = huge; very big
- global warming = the increase in the temperature of the atmosphere
- ice sheet = area of thick ice that covers the North and South Poles
- impact = influence, change
- layer = material or substance between two other things
- reappear = to come again, after it has gone away for some time
- researcher = a person who studies a subject in order to find out more about it
- scientist = a person who is trained in science and works in a lab
- severe = bad, extreme
- similar = almost the same
- size = how big something is
- surface = the top layer of something
- thus = therefore; that is why
- uncommon = unusual, strange