Sidewalk Labs, a Google company, has announced plans to build a futuristic city in Toronto, Canada. The new urban area, called Sidewalk Toronto, aims at turning the waterfront of Lake Ontario into a playground for city development and a testing site for new technologies.
The project wants to make cities cheaper, healthier and even more exciting to live in . The new city will offer its residents ultra-fast WiFi connections, lanes for self-driving cars and sustainable energy sources. Thousands of sensors will report pollution and noise levels, as well as monitor traffic and levels of carbon monoxide.
Planners of Sidewalk Toronto want to find new solutions for overpopulation, waste management , traffic , pollution and other urban problems. Several companies have said that they will make their services available to the new city.
Planners estimate that the project will cost around 1 billion dollars. However, it will also offer tens of thousands of people a place to live, work and have fun. Eventually, similar projects may spread to other parts of the world, helping to build smarter and greener cities.
Google has also announced that it plans to move its Canadian headquarters to Sidewalk Toronto.
- aim = wants to , plans to
- announce = to officially say something in public
- available = here: something that people can use
- carbon monoxide = poisonous gas that produces carbon when it is burned
- development = to become bigger, more modern and advanced
- estimate = think about how much something will cost
- eventually = as time goes on, slowly
- futuristic = something that looks unusual and very modern
- headquarters = the main building or offices used by a large company
- however = but
- lane = one of two or many areas on the road that keeps cars apart
- monitor = watch, observe
- overpopulation = too many people live on a small area of land
- resident = here: a person who lives in a city
- services = work or help that a company gives you
- similar = almost the same
- solution = way of dealing with a problem
- spread = move to another place
- sustainable = something that can be used without causing danger to the environment or nature
- urban = about a city
- waste management = way of getting rid of unwanted materials and dirty water
- waterfront = part of a city or town that is next to the sea or lake
- WiFi connection = connecting computers and other machines to the Internet by using radio signals