Thousands of penguin babies have starved to death in the eastern Antarctic recently . Observers found thousands of unhatched eggs and lifeless baby penguins on the coast. According to scientists , only two baby penguins survived during the 2017 breeding season. Adélie penguins live in colonies that consist of thousands of animals. It is the second time that a whole colony has been wiped out after no babies survived in 2015.
The World Wildlife Fund says that krill fishing in the area has led to the starving of penguin babies. Officials state that fishing in the area may permanently endanger the whole penguin population in the Antarctic.
Another reason for the declining number of Adélie penguins is possibly climate change. In regions where ice gets thicker, adult penguins must travel further away from the shore in order to find food. When they get back they find many of their babies already dead.
The WWF and other organisations now demand that the eastern Antarctic coastline be declared a Marine Protected Area in order to help endangered penguins. Commercial fishing should be banned around these areas .
Adélie penguins live along the Antarctic coast and usually breed from October to February. They lay eggs in nests made up of stones.
- according to = as said by …
- adult = grownup
- ban = forbid
- breed = two or more animals get together in order to have babies
- commercial fishing = fishing in order to make money
- consist of = made up of
- declare = to officially say that something exists
- declining = going down
- demand = want to have
- endanger = to put a person or an animal in danger
- krill = small shellfish
- lifeless = dead
- Marine Protected Area = area in the ocean where fishing and mining is banned and where animals and plants are protected
- permanently = exist for a long time in the future
- observer = a person who watches something closely
- official = person who is in a high position in an organisation
- shore = coast; where land meets the sea
- starve = to die because you do not have enough to eat
- survive = to live on after a dangerous situation
- unhatched = if a baby animal does not come out of an egg
- wipe out = destroy completely, so that nothing is left
- World Wildlife Fund = organisation that protects endangered animals and plants