A new study shows that brain scans might be able to find out if people are thinking about killing themselves. Scientists have trained a computer program to examine the thoughts of people based on brain scans.
The study examined two groups of people – one group were known to have suicidal thoughts and the other group were without such thoughts. During a brain scan doctors gave them words related to certain topics. Ten words were related to positive things, like “carefree” and “praise“, the other ten were connected to negative things like “desperate” and “death”. The computer program then recorded the emotions they were feeling.
Researchers said that in 94 % of all cases they could identify people who had suicidal thoughts.They were also able to find out who had attempted suicide before.
This new experiment gives scientists a method of looking at what goes on in your brain and what you think about topics related to death.
According to the World Health Organisation, about 800,000 people die from suicide every year. In the United States, it is the second largest cause of death in the age group between 15 and 24. Although the findings are not 100% accurate, we may be able to assess a person’s mental health by looking at brain scans in the near future.
- according to = as said or reported by …
- accurate = exact ; correct in every detail
- although = while
- assess = here: to find out how good or bad something is
- attempt = try
- brain scan = doctors take photos of the inside of your brain and look at them closely
- carefree = if you have no worries or problems
- cause = reason why something happens
- desperate = needing or wanting something very much
- examine = look at closely to find out facts
- identify = name, find
- mental = about the brain and mind
- praise = to say that you admire someone or what a person does
- related to = about
- researcher = a person who studies a topic closely in order to find out more about it
- scientist = a person who is trained in science and works in a lab
- study = a piece of work that is done to find out more about a certain topic
- suicidal = wanting to kill yourself
- thoughts = what you think
- topic = subject
- World Health Organisation = international organisation that helps countries improve their people’s health by giving them medicine and information about diseases