Entertainment giant Disney has announced that it intends to start its own streaming service in 2019. Subscription prices will be much lower than those of Netflix and other competitors but the new service will not be able to compete with Netflix as far as quantity goes.
In addition to showing films like Toy Story 4 and Frozen 2, Disney is also planning the production of a new Star Wars trilogy, a Star Wars TV series and several Marvel movies. The company is also working on TV adaptations of Pixar’s Monsters, Inc.
Disney will also launch a new ESPN streaming service next year. It will feature many sports events including Major League Baseball, soccer and others.
Netflix has been streaming Disney and Pixar content for several years. Now Disney wants to pull their own content from Netflix’s services. A survey conducted shortly after the announcement of the new streaming platform showed that two out of 10 Netflix subscribers were willing to switch to Disney.
The world’s largest streaming service has announced that it will spend up to $7 billion on their own productions in 2018. They hope that focusing on original content will make viewers stay on board.
Consumers will have a tough time choosing which service offers the best content. In some cases, they may have to have several accounts in order to watch all their favourite shows and films.
- account = here: an agreement that lets you use a service; you have to have a username and password to log in
- announce = to say officially, in public
- billion = a thousand million
- competitor = here: a business that does the same thing and wants to have more success
- conduct = carry out
- consumer = person who buys something or uses a service and pays for it
- content = films and TV shows
- focus on = concentrate on; give special attention to
- in addition = also
- intend = plan; if you want to do something
- original content = the films and TV series they produce themselves, not the ones they buy from other companies
- quantity = here: the number of TVs shows and films that people can watch
- streaming service = a service that shows TV shows and movies on the Internet whenever you want to see them, not when they are broadcast on a TV channel
- subscription = here: the money you pay every month in order to watch a streaming service
- survey = a set of questions you ask a number of people in order to find out what they want
- switch = change to another service provider
- tough = hard
- viewer = a person who watches a TV show or movie