In addition to finding any place on Earth, Google Maps now lets you navigate through space too. It has recently added two dwarf planets, Pluto and Ceres, as well as some of the moons of Venus, Saturn and Jupiter to its service.
Users can now explore the surface of Titan, Saturn’s largest moon . You can see lakes and rivers of methane beneath its clouds . About half a million images come from the Cassini mission ,which explored Saturn and its moons for 15 years before it burned up in the planet’s atmosphere.
Other highlights include close-ups of Saturn’s sixth-largest moon Enceladus , where water was discovered beneath the surface. Jupiter’s moons Europa and Ganymede are also included in Google Map’s new version. A total of 16 planets and moons can now be explored by users.
Exploring space works like any place on Earth would. Just choose a planet or moon and zoom around. Google Map offers the most important physical features of each celestial body as well as corresponding names.
Google Maps started out as a service that let users navigate land . In the past, years the world’s oceans have been added to the map service and in 2014 Google added images of our moon and Mars. Since 2017 users can take a tour of the International Space Station. Most of the material comes from various explorations carried out by NASA and the European Space Agency (ESA).
- atmosphere = mixture of gases that surrounds a planet
- celestial = about the sky or heaven
- close-up = film or picture in which the camera is very close to an object
- corresponding names = names that are connected to the objects in the map
- discover = to find something for the first time
- dwarf planet = object in space that is too large for a moon and too small to be planet
- explore = to travel around a place in order to find out more about it
- offer = give to the user
- in addition = also
- include = to contain; have in it
- methane = gas that you cannot see or smell; it can be burned to give heat
- navigate = to find your way around from one place to another
- physical features = the landscape with mountains, rivers etc..
- recently = a short time ago
- service = here: something that the company lets users do
- surface = top part of a planet
- various = many different
- zoom = to move very quickly