The government of Singapore has announced that it will ban further cars from its streets and roads starting in February 2018 . Authorities in the island state want to avoid the country from being clogged up in traffic as space is running out.
Singapore has already limited the number of new vehicles that are allowed to drive every year. It has also increased registration fees and import taxes on private vehicles. In Singapore it is four times more expensive to own a car in than elsewhere.
Singapore, which is even smaller than New York, is the most densely populated country in the world. 12 % of the land is taken up by roads. Since 2000, the population has risen by 40% to 5.6 million. Currently, there are 600 000 private cars in operation.
Citizens need a permit to own a car. They can get them at regular auctions that are held in the country. Fees for a ten-year permit cost at least $30,000 .
In addition to banning the registration of new cars, the government is spending 28 billion dollars on public transport projects in the next five years. It is expanding its rail network and has added new bus lines.
- announce = to say officially, in public
- auction = here: event where people who offer the most money can buy permits
- authorities = people or organisations that are in charge of certain things in daily life
- avoid = stop something from happening
- ban = forbid
- billion = a thousand million
- citizen = a person who lives in a country and has rights there
- clog up = to become blocked
- currently = at the moment
- densely populated = many people live on a small area of land
- elsewhere = in other countries
- expand = to make bigger
- fee = the money you pay for a service
- government = the people who rule a country
- in addition = also
- increase = to become bigger or more
- limit = to stop from becoming more and more
- permit = document that allows you to do or have something
- public transport = busses, trains, subways etc.. that everyone can use
- registration fee = the money you pay for officially owning a car
- run out = to become less and less
- vehicle = machine or engine that is used to take people from one place to another, such as a car, bus or truck