A new study of satellite images has revealed that our planet is getting brighter and brighter during the night. More and more artificial lighting may cause harm not only to humans and animals but whole ecosystems.
The study has found out that the quantity of light has increased by 2.2 % per year over the last decade. Much of that increase comes from the Middle East and Asia, while in Europe and the USA brightness has stayed about the same. Only a few countries have actually seen a decrease in the amount of light. Among those are Syria and Yemen.
Artificial light on earth is growing because more and more towns and other settlements are being created in places that were once farmland, forests or wilderness. In addition, China and other booming economies are building whole cities in sparsely populated areas.
Even though large areas of land surface remain dark, there are places on earth where lights never go out, for example, shopping malls, dining districts or international airports.
The technology of artificial lighting is also changing. More and more LED lights are replacing older light bulbs. They are more energy-efficient and emit a brighter bluish-white light. As they are becoming cheaper people tend to buy more.
Doctors warn that too much artificial light can bear health risks. It can lead to shorter periods of sleep, insomnia and changes in a person’s biorhythm.
Scientists have claimed that increased light have an effect on animal habitats. More light near beaches may affect the turtle population that comes there to lay their eggs. Migrating birds that rely on stars to navigate can be influenced by light and travel off course.
- actually = in fact, really
- affect = influence, change
- artificial light = light that is produced by people or machines, not naturally by the sun
- bear = have
- biorhythm = changes in the way and speed that your body reacts at certain times
- booming economy = country where business is growing very strongly
- brightness = being bright
- cause harm = be a danger
- claim = to say that something is true, even if you cannot prove it
- decade = ten years
- decrease = to go down
- effect = change
- emit = send out
- energy -efficient = here: an object that produces more light and uses less energy
- even though = while
- habitat = natural home of a plant or animal
- image = picture
- in addition = also
- increase = to go up
- influence = here: to change the way you travel
- insomnia = not able to sleep
- migrate = to travel regularly to other parts fo the world
- navigate = to find out which way you need to go when you travel from one place to another
- off course = away from the route you would normally take
- quantity = how much of something
- rely = depend on, need
- remain = stay
- replace = to use instead of something else
- settlement = group of houses or buildings where people live, especially in areas where nobody has lived before
- shopping mall = large area with a lot of shops
- sparsely = here: with few people
- study = piece of work that is done to find out more about a special subject
- surface = the top layer of an object
- technology = here: how something is done or produced
- tend = here: will probably happen
- wilderness = large area of land that has never been developed or farmed