Charles Manson, the hippie leader who shocked the world in the 1960s, died at the age of 83. Manson, who has had health problems recently, was serving a life-sentence in a Californian prison.
Charles Manson was the charismatic leader of a group known for murdering seven people in Los Angeles in 1969. Among them was Sharon Tate, a rising Hollywood star and wife of director Roman Polanski. Miss Tate was pregnant at the time she was stabbed to death 16 times. Although Manson was not at the scene of the crimes he ordered his followers to commit the murders.
Manson and his cult members roamed neighbourhoods looting stores and committing random murders. His racist views triggered widespread hate against Black Americans. The clan leader was a symbol of free-love and drug-driven California in the late 1960s.
In 1971, Manson and four of his followers were sentenced to death in the gas chamber. The sentences were reduced to life imprisonment when California’s Supreme Court abolished the death penalty in 1972.
In his youth, Charles Manson dreamed of becoming a rock star but was unsuccessful in his attempts at getting a record contract. This turned into hate against everything that represented the establishment and corporate America. His followers believed in everything he said and committed crimes on his behalf.
- abolish = ban, not allow
- although = while
- attempt = try
- charismatic = having the natural talent to attract people and make them like and admire you
- commit = carry out
- corporate America = here: the big businesses and companies that have a lot of power and can also make political decisions
- death penalty = when the state legally kills someone who has committed a crime
- drug-driven = here: a time when taking drugs was very common
- establishment = group of people who have a lot of power and influence and are often against changes or new ideas
- hippie = someone in the 1960s who wore unusual clothes , had long hair and took drugs for pleasure
- life imprisonment = being in prison for your whole life
- life-sentence = to be in prison your whole life
- loot = to steal things from shops that were destroyed
- on his behalf = in his name; for him
- pregnant = to expect a baby
- racist = someone who believes that people of their own race are better than others; they treat them unfairly and sometimes violently
- random = without a plan or pattern
- reduce = to make something less
- recently = a short time ago
- record contract = to make music for a company
- represent = to stand for something
- rising = here: becoming more successful
- roam = walk around without a clear direction or knowing what you want to do
- sentence = a punishment that a judge gives you for committing a crime
- serve = to spend time in prison
- stab to death = to kill someone with a knife
- Supreme Court = the highest court in the state
- trigger = start
- unsuccessful = when something does not work out the way you want it to
- widespread = happening in many parts of the state