The world’s largest battery has gone into operation in Australia. American technology giant Tesla built the 100-megawatt lithium-ion battery for South Australia’s state government.
The battery was connected to the power grid only 2 months after Tesla and the Southern Australian government signed a contract. Tesla boss Elon Musk said that he could deliver the battery and make it operational within one hundred days. Tesla made the deadline easily.
According to the company, the battery can provide electricity for over 30,000 homes for an hour in case of an electricity blackout. It is also intended to help supply more energy during peak times.
The battery packs, about the size of a football field, are connected to a nearby wind farm, 120 kilometres north of Adelaide. They went into operation at the beginning of the Australian summer, when more energy is needed for air conditioning.
While many regions in Australia still rely on fossil fuels as their main energy source, South Australia gets a lot of its energy from renewable sources, especially solar and wind power. However, backup energy is important for a region that has recently experienced severe storms. The entire state witnessed a blackout in September 2016. 1.6 million people were left without electricity.
- according to = as said by …
- air conditioning = system that makes the air in a room cooler and drier
- battery pack = several batteries connected to each other
- blackout = when everything goes dark because there is no electricity
- connect = link to
- contract = official agreement between two parties
- deadline = date or time by which you have to have something finished
- deliver = to bring a product to a certain place
- electricity = power that is carried in wires and cables and is used for heating, lighting and to make machines work
- entire = whole
- especially = above all
- experience = see, witness
- fossil fuels = energy that is produced by dead plants and animals over millions of years; for example coal, oil and gas
- however = but
- intend = here: designed to work as …
- lithium-ion battery = very powerful battery that can be used over and over again; it is used in laptops, cellphones, iPods etc..
- make it operational = make something work
- megawatt = one million watts
- power grid = network of electrical wires that connect power stations
- provide = give, deliver
- recently = a short time ago
- rely = depend on; need
- renewable = here: energy that replaces itself naturally and never ends
- sign = to put your name on a document
- severe = very strong
- solar = from the sun
- source = where something comes from
- witness = experience, go through