Coca-Cola, the world’s largest soft drink corporation, is planning to recycle all of its bottles and cans by 2030. The company wants to take on more responsibility and make its contribution to saving our environment. The company sells over 500 types of fizzy drinks, juices and mineral water around the world.
Coca-Cola has announced a campaign called “World Without Waste“. It says that food and beverage companies are responsible for much of the litter that can be found on streets and beaches.
The company said it wants to increase the amount of material that can be recycled in its products. By 2030 Coca-Cola aims at making 50% of all the content in bottles and cans recyclable. It also intends to advise users on how to recycle products best. Coca-Cola plans to work together with local governments and environmental groups.
On the other side, Coca-Cola has also stated that that packaging is important because it can reduce the amount of spoilt food and can extend the shelf life of food products.
Greenpeace, one of the most important environmental organisations, has welcomed the move but also said that the company should focus especially on reducing the amount of plastic that is produced. Plastic bottles are a major problem because plastic does not break down and degrade quickly. It is eaten by animals and fish and ends up in our food chain.
- advise = to tell someone what they should do
- aim = something you want to do
- amount = how much of something
- announce = to say officially, in public
- beverage = hot or cold drink
- campaign = series of actions you do to achieve something; movement
- contribution = something that you give or do in order to be successful
- corporation= large company with factories around the world
- degrade = is a material that changes to a simpler form
- environment = air, water and land that is around us
- especially = above all
- extend = make longer
- fizzy drink = sweet, non-alcoholic drinks with bubbles of gas
- food chain = when a smaller plant or animal is eaten by a larger one, which itself is eaten by something larger etc..
- government = people who rule a country
- increase = to make more
- intend = plan
- litter = waste that is thrown to the ground
- major = very important
- move = action, plan
- packaging = container that a product is sold in; made out of plastic, aluminium or other material
- recycle = to use something over and over again
- reduce = lower
- responsibility = something that you feel you must do because it is a good thing
- shelf life= the length of time that a product, especially food, can be kept in a shop before it becomes too old to be sold
- spoilt food = here: food that cannot be eaten anymore because it has already started to decay
- welcome = to be happy about something