The United States has promised to reduce greenhouse gas emissions by 50% within the next ten years. In an online meeting of heads of state from the main industrial countries US President Joe Biden said that the United States would aim at achieving zero emissions by the middle of the century.
Biden said that fighting global warming and turning to clean energy would create millions of new jobs. In addition, the United States would produce all of its electricity from clean energy sources by 2035.
The new US president has made climate change an important issue , in contrast to Donald Trump, who pulled out of the Paris climate agreement.
Other countries, including Japan and Canada also promised to reduce emissions.
- achieve = reach, get to
- aim = hope to do something
- emission = gas that is sent out into the air
- heads of state = the presidents of prime ministers of countries
- in addition = also
- in contrast to = as opposed to ; there’s a difference between
- issue = topic
- pull out= get out of; not be a member anymore
- reduce = lower
- zero emissions = no more gases that are sent out into the atmosphere