The population in the United States has grown to 331 million, an increase of about 7%, over the past decade. However, it is the slowest growth rate since the Great Depression between the two world wars.
The census, taken every ten years, has an impact on the Electoral College, and, as a result, the outcome of the presidential election.
The 2020 census shows that Texas is the big winner with the largest growth rate. 29 million people live in the state, whose population increased by 16% since the 2010 count. The southern state gained 2 seats in the Electoral College. One reason for the change may be the fact that more and more high-tech companies are leaving Silicon Valley and setting up headquarters in Texas.
For the first time in history, California’s population has actually decreased. Falling birth rates and more Californians leaving the state for other destinations have led to a loss of one electoral college seat.
According to the census, more and more Americans are leaving the northeastern US and the Midwest and heading towards in the sun-belt states of the south. Apart from Texas, Florida is another winner and has gained one seat.
The results of the census could increase Republican chances of winning back the White House in 2024, as typically Democratic states like California and New York have lost Electoral College seats while Republican strongholds have gained a few.
- according to = as reported by …
- birth rate = the number of people born for every 1,000 people in a certain place every year
- census = the act of counting the number of people in a country
- count = here: counting of the population
- decade = ten years
- decrease = to go down
- destination = place to go to
- Electoral College = group of people chosen by each state, who come together to elect the President of the United States
- gain = get, receive
- Great Depression = time after the Wall Street crash of 1929 in which banks and companies closed, and many people were out of work
- growth rate = the speed at which something gets bigger
- heading towards = moving in a certain direction
- headquarters = the main building or offices that a company has
- however = but
- impact = influence
- increase = to go up
- loss = to lose something
- outcome = results
- population = the people who live in a country or state
- Silicon Valley = area around San Francisco which is known as the center of the computer and high-tech industry
- stronghold = area where you have a lot of support and many voters